Friday, April 13, 2007

Bearings

I have pretty much given up on trying to become at all functional in Swahili. I am just trying to focus on learning some basic words and phrases. I am not talented at learning new languages. At this point, I just want to know enough to show I that made an effort.

Instead, I'm spending my energy trying to get a better understanding of the culture in Tanzania, which is always important when doing counseling in a population you are unfamiliar with. I'm reading two books: "Tanzania: The Land and Its Peoples" by John Ndembwike and "A Plague of Paradoxes: AIDS, Culture, and Demography in Northern Tanzania" by Philip W. Setel. These are actually the only two books I was able to find about Tanzania, so I'm lucky that one is specifically about Northern Tanzania. The first book is pretty general. It covers mainly history and geography, with very general discussion of the culture. That part isn't very helpful, since Tanzania has 130 different ethnic groups! Many are not at all similar. Some groups are traditionally farmers, while other have traditionally been hunters or herders. Religion is also diverse. 30% of Tanzanians are Muslim, 30% are Christian, and 40% practice one of many different indigenous religions. Even many of the Christians and Muslims still practice aspects of various indigenous religions.

Interesting fact from my reading - about 8% of the people in Tanzania (like most of Sub-Saharan Africa) are HIV positive. But in Northern Africa, the HIV infection rate is less than half the rate in the United States (where it is about 0.5%).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Geoff,
This is Lena, Niraj Kadakia's wife. Niraj showed me your blog and I think what you are doing is great! Post some pictures on the blog! Take care and hope to read more soon! P.S. Niraj says GO CUBS!
-Lena Kadakia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Geoff:
I am very proud of you for pursuing this opportunity and challenging yourself. I'm proud to have you as a UGA student.

Ed Delgado-Romero